Brief Issue Date: March 23, 2020 – Download
For COVID-19, the United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends the use of cleaning products with EPA-approved emerging viral pathogens claims. CDC refers to List N on the EPA website (https://www. epa.gov/pesticide-registration/list-n-disinfectants-use-against-sars-cov-2) for EPA-registered disinfectants that meet this guidance. Based on EPA guidance, the following cleaners may be used for all portable gas detectors that have the ALTAIR® branding, including the 4XR, 5X, 5X PID, 4X, 4XM, 2X, and single gas varieties:
Product Cleaning Guidance
- MSA Confidence Plus® 2, MSA part number 10009971. MSA’s Confidence Plus 2 cleaner is included on List N based on its EPA Reg. No., which begins with 47371-130.
- Disinfectants on EPA’s List N that meet the following criteria:
- Active ingredient of only Hydrogen Peroxide OR only Quaternary Ammonium and
- Do not contain alcohol or sodium hypochlorite (bleach) as an active ingredient
- If options 1 or 2 are not readily available in your market, you can use a 3% solution of Hydrogen Peroxide in water with 5 minutes of contact time on the surfaces.
Chemical Not Compatible with Products
Please note that for ALTAIR portable gas detectors, it is crucial that you do not use cleaners with chemicals that might damage the sensor performance or detector housings. This includes any disinfecting agents that contain alcohol or sodium hypochlorite (bleach).
For the most-up-to date information on COVID-19, you should regularly consult guidance being published by national and international organizations, such as the CDC, the National Institutes of Health (NIH), the World Health Organization (WHO), the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC), and/or your local health authority. Guidance on COVID-19, including information on actions needed to prevent, control, and manage contact with the virus, is available at the following websites:
US CDC: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/index.html
US NIH: https://www.nih.gov/news-events/news-releases/nih-officials-discuss-novel-coronavirus-recently-emerged-china
Note: This Bulletin contains only a general description of the products shown. While product uses and performance capabilities are generally described, the products shall not, under any circumstances, be used by untrained or unqualified individuals. The products shall not be used until the product instructions/user manual, which contains detailed information concerning the proper use and care of the products, including any warnings or cautions, have been thoroughly read and understood. Specifications are subject to change without prior notice.
0800-130-MC / 03.2020