APRIL 28, DAY OF MOURNING | ABOUT
Every year in Canada, April 28 is the Day of Mourning. This is to commemorate workers who have lost their life, been injured or made ill at work.
The Day of Mourning has grown to include more than 120 countries around the world. In many of these places, it’s known as the World Day for Safety and Health at Work, or Worker’s Memorial Day.
The purpose of this day is to not only remember and honour those lost to workplace accidents, but to inform and educate workers about workplace accidents and talk about how we can prevent these tragedies.
APRIL 28, DAY OF MOURNING | FAST FACTS ON WORKPLACE INJURY
- In 1984, the Canadian Labour congress created the National Day of Mourning in Canada
- In 1991, the Parliament of Canada passed the Workers Mourning Day Act to recognize April 28 as an official date of mourning
- Young worker’s aged 18-24 are most likely to be injured on the job.
- In 2017, 951 workplace fatalities were recorded in Canada—46 more than 2016. 23 of these deaths were workers aged 15-24.
- 251,508 accepted claims from workplace injury (An increase of 10,000 accepted claims from 2016) for lost time due to a work-related injury or disease.
- Canadian flags on Parliament fly at half-mast
- To show respect for others who have lost their life, people wear yellow ribbons, black, light candles and/or observe a moment of silence at 11am.
APRIL 28, DAY OF MOURNING | WHAT YOU CAN DO
On the Day of Mourning, there are a few things you can do at your workplace to commemorate the day, pay respects and commit to safety. Here are a few ideas:
- Have a health & safety meeting covering safety-related topics like PPE
- Have your team share stories about different safety-related situations or issues they’ve dealt with
- Brainstorm ideas to make your workplace safer with your team
We remember those who died, were injured or made ill from their work. We commit to protecting workers and preventing further workplace tragedies.
HERCULES SLR RIGS IT RIGHT
NEED A LIFT? HERCULES SLR PROVIDES EQUIPMENT, INSPECTIONS & REPAIRS FOR ALL YOUR RIGGING NEEDS—WE LIFT ANYTHING
FOR RELATED ARTICLES
VISIT OUR BLOG:
STAY IN THE LOOP—FOLLOW US
Hercules SLR is part of the Hercules Group of Companies. We have a unique portfolio of businesses nationally, with locations coast-to-coast. Hercules Group of Companies provides extensive coverage of products and services that support a variety of sectors across Canada which includes the energy, oil & gas, manufacturing, construction, aerospace, infrastructure, utilities, mining and marine industries.
We have the ability to provide any hoisting solution your business or project will need. Call us today for more information. 1-877-461-4876 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.