Inspection Notice: MSA PFL/SRL Rivets
MSA is issuing an Inspection Notice to inform you they have identified isolated instances of unflared top eyelet rivets in MSA V-Edge 2.4m Twin Leg Cable PFL. MSA has not received any reports of injuries associated with this condition. However, we are requesting that you perform the inspection outlined in this notice.
An unflared top eyelet rivet may eventually begin to dislodge from the PFL. If the rivet begins to dislodge from the PFL, the PFL may not arrest a fall.
In a review of all riveted connections on PFLs and SRLs, MSA has identified that the field inspections in the following table are to be performed.
Product (See Appendix A* for Part Number list)
|Rivet(s) to Inspect (See “Inspection Instructions” section for inspection details)||Number of Rivets per PFL/SRL Assembly (See Appendix B* for Figures showing Rivet Locations)|
|2.4m V-Edge Twin Leg Cable PFL||Top Eyelet||2|
|2.4m V-Edge Twin Leg Cable PFL||Casing||8|
|2.4m V-Edge Single Leg Cable PFL||Top Eyelet||1|
|2.4m V-Edge Single Leg Cable PFL||Casing||4|
|2.7m V-Edge Twin Leg Cable PFL||Top Eyelet||2|
|2.7m V-Edge Twin Leg Cable PFL||Casing||8|
|2.7m V-Edge Single Leg Cable PFL||Top Eyelet||1|
|2.7m V-Edge Single Leg Cable PFL||Casing||4|
|6m V-Edge Cable SRL||Shock Pack||2|
* Appendix A and Appendix B can be found in the attached Inspection Notice.
MSA is committed to safety and quality and has implemented increased inspection and quality controls to prevent this condition in the future.
MSA is advising all customers to inspect the rivets listed in Table 1. Inspect per the Instructions in this Notice. Remove from service any PFL or SRL that does not pass the inspection.
Perform the following inspection to determine whether your PFL or SRL needs to be taken out of service. Please reference Appendix B in the attached Inspection Notice for assistance in locating each type of rivet.
Top Eyelet Rivets
- Place the PFL on a flat surface so that there is not a load on the top eyelet rivet.
- Attempt to remove the top eyelet rivet from the eyelet by pushing the rivet.
- Attempt to remove the top eyelet rivet from the eyelet by pulling on the rivet.
- Hold or suspend the PFL such it does not make contact with a surface that would prevent movement of the casing rivets.
- Attempt to remove the casing rivets by pushing the rivets.
- Attempt to remove the casing rivets by pulling on the rivets.
Shock Pack Rivets
- Hold the SRL shock pack such that the shock pack does not make contact with a surface that would prevent movement of the shock pack rivets.
- Attempt to remove the shock pack rivets by pushing the rivets.
- Attempt to remove the shock pack rivets by pulling on the rivets.
Some small back and forth movement of the rivets is to be expected while pushing or pulling. If any of the rivets are able to be removed from the PFL/SRL, remove the PFL/SRL from service.
Note: If there is a green dot on your PFL/SRL box label or there is a green dot on the end of your rivets, it has already been inspected by MSA and has been determined to be acceptable. No further inspection on your part is necessary.
Replacing Affected PFLs and SRLs
If there is any question about the results of the inspection, remove the PFL/SRL from service and contact Hercules SLR for a replacement PFL and/or SRL.
HERCULES SLR PROVIDES MAINTENANCE, INSPECTIONS & REPAIRS FOR RIGGING EQUIPMENT
NEED A LIFT? GIVE US A CALL, OR DROP US A LINE.
Hercules SLR is part of Hercules Group of Companies, with locations and unique businesses coast-to-coast. We provide securing, lifting and rigging services for sectors in Canada and Internationally. Hercules SLR serves the energy, oil & gas, manufacturing, construction, aerospace, infrastructure, utilities, mining and marine industries.
We have the ability to provide any hoisting solution your business or project will need. Call us today for more information. 1-877-461-4876 or email email@example.com.