Let us know how we can help
Load binders, used to safely secure loads in all sectors of the transportation industry, and fall into one of two categories – ratchet load binders and lever load binders, according to their method of tightening.
A lever type load binder, also known as lever chain or snap binders, is made up of a lever and two tension hooks on opposite ends of the unit. The lever is used to tighten the slack on load chains by reducing the distance between the hooks and locking after a 180-degree rotation. This style of load binder requires a relatively high manual force to be applied by the operator, however, they are often much quicker to install than ratchet binders.
Ratchet load binders, also known as ratchet chains, also have a tension hook on each side but tighten using a ratchet mechanism. This allows for proper securing without the need to apply as much manual force. While securing a load with a ratchet binder may take a few extra minutes, it is more controlled and ultimately deemed safer by many within the transportation industry.
• Do not operate the binder while you or anyone else is on the load.
• When applying the binder, always position the load binder so the handle is tightened in a downward manner. Failure to do so may result in a sudden snapping back of the lever, which might result in serious injury or death.
• Load binders are designed to be tightened to the approximate Working Load Limit by a substantial hand effort.
• Do not use a handle extension. They can severely damage the binder system and result in serious injury or death.
• The operator should at all times use the load binder from a firm standing position that will ensure protection for himself as well as those in the immediate vicinity.
• Load binders are a form of machinery and require periodic inspection and maintenance.
• Inspect for wear, deformation, cracks, nicks, or gouges before using. Replace if damaged. Load binders should be periodically lubricated to give optimum performance and reduce friction losses.
Let us know how we can help
Select your local branch for contact information & store hours
When you need the job done safely, trust the lifting and rigging experts at Hercules SLR
Collect AIR MILES(R) Reward Miles when you purchase Hercules products & services. Get 1 Mile for every $30 spent excluding taxes.
*All Rewards offered are subject to the Terms and Conditions of the AIR MILES Reward Program, are subject to change and may be withdrawn without notice. To redeem for Travel and/or Merchandise Rewards, you must have accumulated sufficient AIR MILES reward miles in your Dream Balance. Some restrictions may apply. Quantities may be limited. Collectors must pay taxes, fuel surcharges and other applicable charges and fees on air, hotel and car rental Rewards. Travel Rewards may be subject to a minimum advance booking and availability from participating Suppliers. No cancellations, exchange or refunds for tickets, certificates or merchandise once booked or ordered. For complete details, visit airmiles.ca or call the AIR MILES Customer Care Centre at 1-888-AIR MILES (in Toronto (416) 226-5171)
®™ Trademarks of AM Royalties Limited Partnership used under license by LoyaltyOne, Co. and Hercules SLR.