Chain slings are some of the toughest pieces of rigging equipment, but even the toughest gear needs to be inspected, tested, and certified every year.
Hercules SLR’s ASME certified inspectors are available to complete chain sling inspections and certifications across Canada. Regular chain sling service is more than just smart business, yearly certifications are required by Canadian law.
All inspections are carried out in accordance to ASME standard B30.9.
For chain sling inspections, load testing, repairs and certifications contact the chain sling service experts at Hercules SLR today.
– Normal Service—yearly
– Severe Service—monthly to quarterly
– Special Service—as recommended by a qualified person
– Intervals between inspection should never exceed one year. Written records are not required for frequent inspections, however written records should be kept. The WSTDA, RS-1 and ASME B30.9 require written record of the latest inspection.
– All slings (new, altered, modified, or repaired) should be inspected by a trained user a competent person before they are used in the workplace.
– Need to be inspected and documented once a year by a competent person
– Before attempting a lift operation, be sure you know how to operate the equipment and sling techniques appropriately. Inspect the slings and accessories before use for any defects.
– Replace any safety latches that have any damage.
– Before lifting, determine the weight of the load. Do not exceed the sling’s rated load.
– Check whether chain slings fit freely. Do not force, hammer or wedge chain slings or fittings into position.
– Keep hands and fingers from between load and chain when tensioning slings and when landing loads.
– Ensure the load is free to be lifted.
– Make a trial lift and trial lower to ensure the load is balanced, stable and secure.
– Balance the load to avoid overstress on one sling arm or the load slipping free.
– Pad sharp corners to prevent bending links and to protect the load.
– Position hooks of multi-leg slings facing outward from the load.
– Reduce the load limit when using chains in temperatures above 425°C (800°F).
– Store chain sling arms on racks in assigned areas and not lying on the ground. The storage area should be dry, clean and free of any contaminants which may harm the sling.
– Customers can come to one of our shops across the country or we can come to you with our Mobile Testing Unit. Technicians at Hercules SLR are trained and certified with LEEA accreditation. All inspections are completed within ASME standards.
When used in rigorous material handling applications, chain can easily become worn or corroded.
It is important to inspect chain for defects on a regular basis to avoid an unsafe lifting condition or even operator injury. When corrosion and wear occur, it results in a reduction of link cross-section which can lead to decreased strength of the chain.
Corrosion can occur anywhere chain comes in contact with harsh chemicals, water or when it is used in tough environments. Wear can occur in any portion of a link that is subject to contact with another surface.
Contact Hercules SLR experts today to get a quote on this service and other available options.
Collect AIR MILES(R) Reward Miles when you purchase Hercules products & services. Get 1 Mile for every $30 spent excluding taxes.
*All Rewards offered are subject to the Terms and Conditions of the AIR MILES Reward Program, are subject to change and may be withdrawn without notice. To redeem for Travel and/or Merchandise Rewards, you must have accumulated sufficient AIR MILES reward miles in your Dream Balance. Some restrictions may apply. Quantities may be limited. Collectors must pay taxes, fuel surcharges and other applicable charges and fees on air, hotel and car rental Rewards. Travel Rewards may be subject to a minimum advance booking and availability from participating Suppliers. No cancellations, exchange or refunds for tickets, certificates or merchandise once booked or ordered. For complete details, visit airmiles.ca or call the AIR MILES Customer Care Centre at 1-888-AIR MILES (in Toronto (416) 226-5171)
®™ Trademarks of AM Royalties Limited Partnership used under license by LoyaltyOne, Co. and Hercules SLR.